Review: KMC X10SL Silver 10 Speed Chain

Lightweight and durable

Fits nicely with my XT - Deore drivetrain

Weight is 253 grams for the 116 links. Chamfered inner and outer plates for smooth shifting. I'm not a fan of gold chains so I got the silver one. I know that the gold chain offers more than bling but gold is really not for me.

I have used this chain for more than 6 months now on trails and on roads. My setup is a 2x10 drivetrain with XT cogs and Rear Mech, Deore Front Mech and Chainrings on my 27.5 hardtail bike. I have ridden this for more than 200kms and in most tropical riding conditions (hot, humid, and rainy).

Performs as expected

With a high-end chain like this, it is expected to perform well. No chain stretch up to this point. Haven't broken a link yet so all is checked for durability.

Shifting is smooth. Partnered with an XT cog and rear mech, this chain shifts fast and fluid.

Noisy

I've noticed a significant noise coming from the chain when the chainline is not straight. I'm running a 2x10 and I'm not overly cross chaining the drivetrain. When in the big chainring, the noise would get louder as I get from the 5th gear to the 1st gear. Even my fellow biker noticed the chain noise.

Noise aside, there is no performance impact with the sound problem. You only need to filter out the noise to keep the obsessive compulsive inside of you from going insane.

Lube it regularly

Don't expect it to be maintenance free. Even though they say that this chain is self lubricating, you still need to lube it.
slotted plates to reduce weight and add mud shedding capability

I've neglected washing and lubing it once after a slightly wet ride. After a week, I've noticed some specs of rust on the plates. After that, I regularly wash and lube my chain, especially on rainy season. The humid air gets to your chain even when you don't use it so lubricate it before storing.

I wash my chain after a wet  and muddy ride to remove all the mud and dust from it. I use a dishwashing solution to clean my chain and then lube it after drying. I use White Lightning Dry Lube for my chains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)