Review: Schwalbe Kojak 20"

After my Schwalbe Citizen stock rear tire wore out, I decided to get a new pair of tires.  I have heard many good things about Schwalbe Kojak in the local forums so I decided that this would by my next commuter tires.



I got a pair of 20" Kojaks for 1800 pesos from a local bike store in Pasay City.  Both the tires were installed and the still good Schwalbe Citizen tire was set aside for the rainy days.

The Kojaks were slick tires. They don't have any treads or knobs. I was worried that it would lose traction on wet roads but they held up pretty well.  I tried these tires from light rains to heavy downpour and the grip on the slightly suffered. I just have to be extra careful on those man hole covers and metal gratings.

Schwalbe rates this tire with a Race Guard 4 level of protection.  So far, I have less punctures with these tires compared to the Schwalbe Citizen.

I got these tires because of the advertised lesser rolling resistance.  They definitely roll faster than the Citizen. This can be attributed to its slickness and the 1.35 tire width. The 1.35 tire width is also a good thing for me.  Rolling through wet roads and puddles does not throw bucket loads of water on my shoes and legs. Before, I used to get my shoes and socks wet whenever a light shower happens due to the fat tire spraying water all over and the fenders are not wide enough to block the tire spray from the sidewall.

Compared to the Citizen, the Kojak only has a reflective name. The Citizen has that reflective band that improves visibility.

Durability wise, I haven't seen any signs of wear on my tires. I have been using the Kojaks for more than 6 months for at least 3 times a week 40kms a day commutes. Doing the math, that's at least 4880 kms already.

I highly recommend these tires for their 20" folding bikes if you're into durability and speed. Next time I'll try the Durano to compare with these Kojaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)