Review: Birzman Feextube

Since I was having a lot of punctures lately, I decided to give the tire patch thing a try. I usually bring an extra tube during daily commute to work and just swap out the punctured tube whenever I have flat tires.

I didn't want to use those cheap patch kits because the last time I used it, the patch didn't even stick to the tube.  Luckily, I chanced upon this patch kit from Birzman. The kit includes 3 patches, 1 tire boot and a carrying case with a built in scraping tool.  I also got extra patches to have spares in case I use up the patches from the kit.
Patch Kit with 1 patch used
The patches already have an adhesive backing. You just need to locate the puncture then rough up the surface with the scraping tool and apply the patch. The tire boot is supposed to be used when you tear your tire.

Failures
I've used the patch with varying chances of success. I've had a snakebite puncture and I used 1 patch for this. After a few weeks, air leaked out. It seems that the patch is too small to completely provide coverage for the snakebite. Adding another patch to the leak did not fix the problem. There are also instances where a tube I patched a couple of weeks ago was leaking air.

Bottomline
The quality of this patch is better than the cheap generic patches on local bike shops and dollar stores. This patch good to have during emergency situations where you don't have access to a vulcanizing shop nearby. I cannot guarantee the longevity of the patch so it's best to have the tube properly fixed when you get the time. Based on my experience, the patch tend to weaken overtime and air will leak out eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)