Review: YBN SLA101 NP Silver Chain

I recently purchased this lightweight chain for my folding bike drivetrain upgrade.  I was torn on getting the KMC x10SL and this chain. Both were almost the same weight but the KMC is pricier by more or less Php 500 in the local market. I decided to give YBN a try.

It came in a box unlike the KMC chain which came packaged in an all vinyl blister pack. The box contains the chain wrapped in plastic and a missing link. The shop also gave me a free missing link so I now have an extra one. The chain is drenched in lube in its plastic packaging. Its some sort of wet lube, I think.

On paper, the weight of the chain is 235 grams for the 110 links. It's a bit lighter from KMC x10SL which is 253 grams. Overall weight once its installed will be lower since I will be removing some of the links. It's supposedly durable according to their website. The chamfering on the plates are less noticeable compared to KMC.

Performance

My setup is a 1x10 drivetrain with this YBN chain. I'm running a 52 tooth chainwheel and a 11-36 cassette.

The chain feels smooth without any noise on the high gears. Shifting is smooth and buttery when paired with an XT cassette and Zee rear mech.  It changes gear quite smoothly thanks to the chamfered plates of the chain.

The only thing I noticed when using the 34 and 36 tooth cogs, there is a low grinding noise coming from the drivetrain. I'm not sure if the chain is hitting the chain guide or there is just too much cross chaining.  This is similar to the KMC chain noise I'm having with my other 2x10 setup. It's not a big thing. Maybe it will wear off in time.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this chain. It's seems durable enough for my daily commute. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)