Review: Shimano Deore M615 Brake Set


I've had this brake set for almost a year installed on my Merida HT bike. There are various reasons why I chose this brake set apart from other options in the market.
Tidy cockpit with I-Spec technology

  1. I-Spec - this brake can be used with the XT I-Spec shifter that I planned to buy that time. Its also neat on the handlebar since there are less clamps that are cluttered on the bar.
  2. Brake pads with fins that are seen on the higher Shimano models can be used with this brake set.
  3. Value for money - nice brakes that won't break your bank.

Squishy levers

One thing I noticed after installing the brakes is the squishy lever. Coming from an Alivio brakeset where a slight squeeze will apply the brakes instantly, I feel that the new brake lever need to travel more before the brakes bite. I don't know if this is how a modulated brake is supposed to feel but it really doesn't feel right.
noisy combination. Alligator rotors + Deore brakes

I topped up the mineral oil to try to solve this problem. It turns out that the stock oil level is low. The feel slightly improved after topping it up but it still feels off.
I haven't tried to bleed the system. Maybe this will fix the issue.

Nice stopping power

Stopping power is premium. With a squeeze on the 2 finger lever, brake modulation is easily felt. 

My front brake is noisy though. Add water to the equation and double the chance that the brakes will squeal.  I will have to change the current rotor which is a 180mm Alligator brand rotor. The rear brake did not make any noise with its 160mm Ashima Airotor.
rear brake with Ashima Airotors

Other stuff

I noticed that the lever can be pushed backwards. This is not possible with the old Alivio levers. I don't know what purpose this might serve. Maybe this is designed to prevent damage in case of crashes.

Overall, this brakeset is value for its price. You should consider getting this one if you want to upgrade your brakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)