Review: Da Bomb Bare Bones Flat Pedal


Got this pedal for almost a year. It held up pretty well up to now. I'm still using it on my Merida bike.

I got the black pedal as opposed to the red. Its packaged in a box. It's definitely barebones. Simple, light and effective.

Nice



I like the thin profile of this pedal. At 11mm, its pretty thin and slick. It is designed to be close to the crank. There is a bit of play with the pedal that is held by an internal spring. The thinness of the pedal and its construction gave it a light weight. Weighing at 343 grams for the pair, it's reasonably light compared to other pedals. It uses sealed bearings so it can take a beating on the trails.
The pedal is very grippy. You will never slip on these pedals, I guarantee it. The pins dig into your shoes like nails. It's wide enough to accommodate regular sneakers.

I noticed a slight discoloration on the pedals. It looked more like a blueish black. After all the abuse and wear, I expected much more fading than this. A plus for the pedal robustness.

Cons


The first few months I used these pedals, I had numerous puncture and scratch scars on my legs. The pins are very sharp. Unlike other pedals which uses pins that have a flat top, these pedals have screws as pins. Imagine the thread digging into your shin.

After a few months, I learned to be wary of the pedals and avoid getting cut by it. Maybe the edges grew dull after months of use.

Another thing I noticed is rusting. After a few months, the retaining nut show signs of rust. I now use silicone spray on the pedals to prevent further rusting. I now add this regimen to my after wash routine.


Overall


I would recommend getting this pedals. It's a bit pricey, but it will last you a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Smirnoff Mule

Review: Andy Player Whisky and Cola

Upgrading the Tern Link D8 Drivetrain (Part 2)